• 1/2 cup butter or shortening
• 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 cup chunky peanut butter
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat butter or shortening until soft. Add brown sugar and sugar, blend until creamy. Beat in egg, peanut butter, salt, baking soda and vanilla.
3. Sift the flour before measuring. Use the greater amount of flour if peanut butter is heavy in oil. Add flour to creamed mixture and blend thoroughly. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Using a small ice cream scoop, drop dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 – 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
NOTE: If you are omitting the chocolate chips, press dough flat with a fork in a criss-cross design and sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top.
YIELDS: 4 - 5 dozen cookies